It’s no coincidence that we patterned this week’s 2015 JAY Awards Gala after the Italian Renaissance–a fertile time of humanism, art, architecture, science, and literature. In so many ways, we’ve been living through our own renaissance over the past several years in Columbia and we want to celebrate this fact at the same time we celebrate the 15 artists honored as Jasper’s Artists of the Year Finalists and Winners.
Join us for an evening of Renaissance inspired food, drink (open bar), and entertainment, and the announcement of the Jasper Artists of the Year in Dance, Literature, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts.
- Musical performance by the classical guitar duo Duo Cortado who will be playing Renaissance tunes and more
- Renaissance inspired spoken word performances by members of Jasper’s Wet Ink Spoken Word Collective, featuring Kendal Turner, Debra McQueen, & Kenneth Denk
- Mini cello concert by Catherine Hunsinger
- Impromptu performances by Al Black and Catherine Hunsinger
- Leonardo daVinci (Michael Krajewski) will be creating his own version of the Mona Lisa from a live model
- Michelangelo (Alex Smith) will be our guest throughout the evening embodying the Enlightenment, inciting evocative conversations, inspiring us with his multiple talents, (and maybe even creating art!)
- Roving Renaissance entertainment from the Trustus Apprentices will keep the spirit of the Enlightenment alive and a smile on your faces
- Il Magnifico’s own Court Jester (Chris Carney) will meet you on the walk with fire eating demonstrations
- USC Theatre Students are cooking up a surprise performance for us all
- Bier Doc (Bob Jolley) has a rich selection of special biers and wines
- Be sure to arrive in time to sample the Editor’s Punch, created specially for this gala
- Enjoy a sample feast of Renaissance-inspired dishes created by Chef Joe Turkaly
- And, of course,the announcement of the Jasper Artists of the Year!
Tickets are $25 in ADVANCE and $35 at the door. Or join us at 6 for a special champagne reception in which you can sip bubbles, nosh on special treats, and hob nob with some of the greatest of the city’s artists.
Come out and support your local arts magazine, celebrate its release, and congratulate the Jasper Artists of the Year Finalists and Winners: Martha Brim, William Starrett, Dale Lam, Eileen Blyth, Kimi Maeda, Russell Jeffcoat, Jullia Elliott, Ray McManus, Al Black, Jordan Young, Craig Butterfield, Heyward Sims, Dewey Scott-Wiley, Jennifer Moody Sanchez, and Kendrick Marion.
Special Thanks to Coal Powered Filmworks, Mouse House, Bert Easter of Easter Antiques, Richard Durlach and Breedlove of The Big Apple, and Singing Fox Event Planning.